Annie's Homegrown Macaroni and Cheese


As I sit down to write this gluten free product review, I can't help but sing, "Just give me the blue box please". Though the fun commercials for Kraft Macaroni and cheese have a catchy tune, that's the only part of that product that we of the gluten free elite can enjoy. Luckily there is a blue box made specially for us.

Annie's Homegrown Macaroni and Cheese, rice pasta and cheddar flavor, boasts words like "Homegrown", "Totally Natural" and my favorite feature, the Rabbit of Approval. Though Bernie the Rabbit is hilarious, I'm forced to ask; what could he possibly know about Macaroni and cheese, gluten free or otherwise?

Ease of Use

Annie's Homegrown Macaroni and Cheese is easy to use and has variety built in to the instructions. While you boil the pasta, mix the cheese powder and milk together. Drain the pasta, add the cheese and you're done.

Appearance

Gluten free macaroni and cheese looks exactly like every other box of mac and cheese out there. Same size and shape to the noodles, same color.

Taste and Texture

The texture of Annie's Homegrown Macaroni and Cheese is great, as long as it's not overcooked. Cook it for even a minute too long and you have cheesy mush.

Again, I find myself facing the issue of rice pasta ick. It's a personal preference, I know, but there is definitely an aftertaste here. The cheese sauce has a good flavor and there is enough of it to completely coat the pasta.

Versatility

Annie's Homegrown Macaroni and Cheese is fairly versatile. There are some instructions for rich and tangy preparation on the box. I found that I liked it best with 1/4 cup sour cream, a few slices of crumbled bacon and some chopped green onions.

Overall Value

Just a little over $2 a box. Fantastic!

Rating

I recommend this gluten free macaroni and cheese to anyone who likes rice pasta.

*Note* Annie's products are made in a facility that also processes wheat. They do test at the legal levels for gluten, but extremely sensitive people may still have issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment