Evol Bowls

Food is a huge deal in our house. I mean, everybody eats, but we LOVE food! Every time we get a new product from the store or have one delivered to the house specifically for reviews D.D. and I do a little happy dance. When we got these Evol Bowls, the happy dance was pretty vigorous. After all, Evol is love spelled backwards so we did our dance to a musical accompaniment of ‘Evil Love’, to the tune of ‘Tainted Love’, of course. Second, the frozen bowls were packed in a huge cooler with giant bricks of dry ice. If there’s one thing we love almost as much as food, it’s dry ice. To top this off, the delivery came during one of the busiest weeks we’ve had in a long time. You can’t beat a timely delivery of convenient, fast and healthy food!

Yes, I did say healthy. Evol Bowls are gluten free, all natural and made from hormone free meats and cheeses with no additives or preservatives. There are four flavors to choose from: Teriyaki Chicken, Fire Grilled Steak, Chicken Enchilada and Bean and Cheese Enchilada. Each one is a single serving in a compostable bowl. 

Ease of Use 

The directions are the same for all four flavors: place the bowl in the microwave and cook for four minutes. I had to cook mine for about five minutes. I guess my microwave is not an over-achiever. 

Appearance

Each flavor has it’s own look once it is cooked. For this review I’ll post the pictures I took with the description for each one. Here are the boxes to look for in the store.

Taste and Texture 

Each flavor was unique, but the thing they had in common was that they tasted like real food! Everything was fresh and tasty.

 
 

Teriyaki Chicken Evol Bowl: This is the only bowl without a Mexican flair. It has brown rice, veggies and chunks of chicken. In general, I am not a fan of re-heated chicken, but I have no complaints this time. The flavor and the texture were both great. The teriyaki sauce was lightly sweet and there was just enough to flavor the bowl without overpowering anything.


Fire Grilled Steak Evol Bowl: This was my least favorite of the bowls, but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it again. This bowl has seasoned rice, corn, peppers, black beans, cheese and steak. It has a cilantro-lime pesto on top that, though delicious, hijacks the flavor of everything else. The steak had a good texture and the veggies looked fire grilled.

 
 
Chicken Enchilada Evol Bowl: This bowl has corn tortillas layered with pinto beans, cilantro-lime rice, roasted corn, cheese and a creamy green enchilada sauce. It was pretty delicious, and so fresh tasting! The cilantro and lime flavors complimented the enchilada sauce perfectly.

 



Bean and Cheese Enchilada Evol Bowl: This bowl has corn tortillas layered with pinto beans, cilantro-lime rice, cheese, roasted corn and a red enchilada sauce. This was the first bowl I tried and my first thought was, “Wow, if they all taste this amazing I’m going to have to get more of these!” This bowl tasted so fresh it could have come from my usual burrito bowl place. Each of the individual ingredients stood out with a great flavor to add to the mouth-party.

Versatility

 I’m not sure these would last long enough in my house to explore the versatility. That’s fine with me since the magic of these bowls in in the convenience. 

Overall Value 

The 9 oz. portions are a little small for the big eaters in my house. Even so, $4.99 for a super quick, all natural meal isn’t bad. 


Rating 

I love these! I would buy all of the flavors and eat them again and again.



 
Disclaimer Time: Evol sent these bowls to me to sample. I was/am under no obligation to give a good review, or any kind of review. I also did not have to give them my first born child. Bonus :)


GiveAway!!!


If you are ready to be wowed, leave a comment below or on the GFPR Facebook Page  to be entered into a random drawing for a prize pack filled with coupons and Evol goodies. I’m going to have D.D. press the button to generate a random winner on Halloween - October 31, 2012. Please make sure that your entry contains a way for me to contact you to arrange for delivery. (Facebook or email work really well) Good Luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment